Problem: database table/index sizing for Sum Length Columns greater than Available Data Space

From: Brendan Newman <bis_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 07:52:18 -0400

[Quoted] Hi there,

[Quoted]     I am trying to size Oracle 8.x tables and am having difficulty due to the fact that the formulas Oracle gives are only appropriate if your Space [Quoted] Used Per Row (i.e. Sum Length Columns + Overhead) is less than your Available Data Space (i.e. Block_Size - Header Space - Pct_Free_Space).

[Quoted]     What if Space Used Per Row >= Available Data Space? That is, what if you have big columns which are much bigger than your block size and you don't want to increase the block size?

[Quoted]     If you could point me to where there are formulas for this particular case please let me know. Thanks. My e-mail is bis_at_ibm.net. Received on Mon Jul 26 1999 - 13:52:18 CEST

Original text of this message