Re: ODBC vs Pro*c or OCI

From: <argosy22_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 19:05:51 GMT

HI,

Between OCI, and ProC, I would definetly go with ProC.

ProC has a small learning curve.

OCI has a huge learning curve. And then, you get your quirky programmers who like to do things their own strange ways, making maintenance far more difficult.

ProC (.pc) precompiles everything to its OCI (.c) equivilent, so I would fail to see any performance benefits from OCI. Both are executable files off of the Unix system.

Argosy

In article <37938010.85F41FD_at_home.com>,   khanf_at_home.com wrote:
> Folks, I am building a very high performance
> distributed application for the internet. I have a
> minimum requirement of at least 400 transaction/s (profiled on
> low end solaris box).
>
> What are the pros and cons of using ODBC vs pro*c or OCI ?
> I am interested in performance issues/experiences using
> ODBC. How is connection pooling in Oracle ODBC driver ?
> Are there any gotchas with ODBC for high performance
> solutions ?
>
> Can I use Oracle Advanced Queuing with Oracle ODBC ??
>
> Any ideas, suggestions appreciated. I can be mailed directly
> also.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards.
> Furkan Khan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 23 1999 - 21:05:51 CEST

Original text of this message