Re: how to open the oracle datafile in ms-windows 95?

From: BRENT DOUGLAS <BRENT.DOUGLAS_at_DAYTONOH.NCR.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 16:31:31 -0400

you should be able to use the microsoft oracle driver, did you try to add a system data source? the oracle odbc driver should be part of win 95.... if not, you should be able to download that driver from microsoft.com or oracle.com as free ware....

here is the hard question: do you have the sqlnet client? you will need that... if you run an oracle client install, you will get sql*net and oracle's odbc driver....

if you DO have the client, and you can add the installed odbc / oracle driver, you just need to specify a name (anything) and a connection string (the entry in your tnsnames.ora file) that points to your database. eg:

name: myoracle
connect: MyOracleDb

where MyOracleDb is the 'paragraph' heading in your tnsnames file that points to the right ip address, port to get to your database

good luck,

brent