Re: Newbie Qn. LOVs and Record Groups

From: John H <johnw_horsey_at_DELTHISuk.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:20:46 GMT

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:30:32 GMT, johnw_horsey_at_DELTHISuk.ibm.com (John H) wrote:

>I've picked up the maintenance of a Forms4.5 application, and am
>having a bit of trouble understanding how to link LOV's and RG's.
>
>Our application, for reasons I won't go in to, stores date information
>in number fields with a format of e.g. 990101 (1st January 1999) or
>1020101 (1st January 2002).
>
>I would like this to display this in the LOV as 1-Jan-99 or 1-Jan-02,
>and have been able to generate the SQL using an incantation of
>to_char(to_date(to_char(19000000+createdate),'YYYYMMDD')) which I have
>placed in the SQL query in the RG.
>
>I regenerated the RG when prompted, and changed the LOV column so that
>it now expects a character rather than a number field.
>
>When I try to execute it, I get an error saying it is unable to map
>the LOV column.
>
>Ideas? Thx, J

Thanks to Andy who suggested deleting and recreating the LOV. It now

maps the LOV to the RG correctly..................

However, I have changed the SQL in the record group query, so that it translates our pseudo-date to a real date by using to_date(to_char(19000000+createdate),'YYYYMMDD')). and changed the column mapping so that it now expects a date rather than a number.

When I run this query under SQLPlus, it correctly shows the date, but in the real application, the LOV list continues to display the original number.

I am confused... J Received on Wed Jul 21 1999 - 11:20:46 CEST

Original text of this message