How can you create a view that reflects the structure of the table not what values it currently has

From: tony <ramdan_at_mailexcite.com>
Date: 20 Jul 1999 15:55:08 -0500

when I create a view on a table my view is taking on the characteristics of the data that is in the table rather the underlying structure of the table.

so for example on table Hourly with this structure:

  HRLY_MTR_DTA_LD_ACCT_NUM    VARCHAR2(30)  ,
  HRLY_MTR_DTA_LD_DT                 DATE   ,
  HRLY_MTD_DTA_LD_HR                NUMBER(2),
  HRLY_MTR_DTA_LD_USG             NUMBER(17,2),

If I create a view when it is empty, the view will have a structure of

  HRLY_MTR_DTA_LD_ACCT_NUM VARCHAR2(30) ,

   HRLY_MTR_DTA_LD_DT                 DATE   ,
  HRLY_MTD_DTA_LD_HR                NUMBER,
  HRLY_MTR_DTA_LD_USG             NUMBER,

my number(P,S) datatypes become number i.e. floating point. Is there a way to force the view to use exact number precision I have in the underlying table so that a number(2) or number(17,2) becomes that in the view rather than a number Received on Tue Jul 20 1999 - 22:55:08 CEST

Original text of this message