Re: lack of quality of Oracle Tools

From: Stephen Hirsch <stephen.hirsch_at_pharma.novartis.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:13:30 -0400

Hi,

I recommended Oracle front end tools to a client. Forms enabled me to put a normal client front end on a database very quickly, which is why I recommended it. It was not bug free, and there was no documentation for the version I was using (5.0), but I got the job done ahead of schedule.

Reports, however, had a fatal bug. I was going to have 50 users and the non-developer install package didn't work. Apparently, Oracle thought that fat client/server development wasn't a high priority, as they knew of the bug. I can't believe that it would have been that difficult to fix, test, and get out the door.

I rewrote the reports in Access. What a shanda (shame).

Steve