URGENT Forms Questions !!!

From: Mastur Bates <a9127212_at_unet.univie.ac.at>
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 06:01:48 GMT

Hi !

This is a rather urgent problem : I have the following kind of Form :

Customers :

Name : Miller First Name : Andrew

What sort of Customer is he (1 answer allowed) ? 2 - frequent buyer

What topics is he interested in ?
(multiple answers, represented in a sub-form)

2 - Fantasy
5 - Sci-Fi
7 - Erotic

The tables involved are :
Customers

    Name                     First Name

Sort_of_Customer :

                ID (int), Name
                1            never buyed anything
                2            frequently buying
                3            irregular buying

Topics:
                ID (int), Name

Topics_Customer :
           ID (Foreign Key --> Topics),    (Foreign Key ->Customer)
            1                                            3

For the single answer section (Sort of Customer), Forms displays the answers correctly when populating the Poplist with the contents of the Sort_Of_Customer Table. and converting the ID (int) with to_char (the list items only accept record groups with 2 varchar entries). Meaning : when the Customer record has the entries : Name Miller,First Name Andrew, Sort_of_Customer : 3, then the poplist shows up with the correct Name.

But when updating the field by selecting a list element, it wont display the
change, meaning that : the answer in the database was "Frequent - 2" and now I select "Infrequent - 3", the "Infrequent" wont be displayed neither stored. I use a poplist. It wont work with a combo box either.

Also, and this is much more threatening to me, in case I choose to make a
multi-row block (as I need to do for the multiple answers section) , it wont even let me populate or clear the list...

This would be a cause for me to change the database design.. and thats bad.

Another one : has anyone in here EVER implemented a multiple selection List Box in Oracle Forms ? My solution is to pop up a window and displaying available options on one side, selected options on the other side, and letting the user adding one option at a time to his pool of selected options. But this isn't exactly ERGONOMIC or USERFRIENDLY !!!

Any idea of integrating external (Java ? Microsoft ? Whatever ?!) Controls to achieve this ? Please consider telling me also in which way the behaviour of the Form (Commit/Rollback) is changing when integrating the considered Control.

Bye, Jubin Received on Sat Jul 17 1999 - 08:01:48 CEST

Original text of this message