Re: lack of quality of Oracle Tools

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 16 Jul 1999 15:25:55 GMT

[Quoted] Sheesh! All this complaining about tools. I have developed software for several decades, and using Oracle is not nearly as difficult as trying to build a dynamic and smooth-running application on an IBM mainframe.

I now have years of experience with Oracle, primarily with Developer, and the tools we have created for our users are really appreciated. I don't know what workarounds y'all are talking about -- I've got several, too, but overall, the Oracle tools I've used get the job done.

What I HAVE learned over the years is that any new tool takes a long time to learn, and in the initial stages, everyone (including me) tends to complain about everything. Developing good software is pretty much at the opposite end of the spectrum from instant gratification. Once you get up to speed with a new tool, you get to appreciate what it does for you, and all that "attitude" disappears.

Steve Cosner
http://members.aol.com/stevec5088