Reports Aggravation

From: Jason King <jhking_at_airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 00:20:38 -0500

[Quoted] If there's a FAQ or HOWTO on Reports a URL would help me greatly. If there's a good book on Reports that too would serve nicely to reduce my ignorance.
Specifically what has me beating my head into a bloody pulp against the wall are 2 things.
1). How do I set a group without Oracle changing my ORDER BY clause 1a) Alternatively, is there someway to change the SQL back.

    I have an invoice report that breaks on invoice number , category and sub-category.

   The table has an item number colum in it and the business rule is "item numbers in ascending order"

   I have a query like "SELECT invoice_num , item_number , category , sub_category , item_name , price FROM invoice ORDER BY invoice_num , item_number"

   To get the breaks to work I have to set up groups on invoice_num ( no problem there ) category and sub_category.

   Reports then wants to change the ORDER BY to invoice_num , category , sub_category , item_number which messes up the item_number order.

   The work arounds I've found are to do multiple data-linked queries ( SLOOOOW ) or create a view that selects invoice_num , category , sub_category and min( item_number )

   and then join the view with the base table, which is not as slow but I'm inclined to think I'm doing something wrong if I have to "trick" the tool to get the right results.
2) How do you get a field to print at the bottom of each page?

    I can print at the bottom of control breaks or at the end of the report, but at the end of each page is driving me nuts.

I'm using Report Builder 6.0.5.28 and Database 8.0.5 client is (NT SP3 64 meg ) or(NT SP4 256 meg) server is NT ( SP3 DBA won't tell me how much RAM)

Thanks for all suggestions. Received on Fri Jul 16 1999 - 07:20:38 CEST

Original text of this message