Re: [Oracle 8.0.5 and SuSE6.1] Install success

From: Michael Hasenstein <mha_at_suse.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:40:18 +0200

Keith Montgomery wrote:

> Congratulations on what you've done so far.
> I had it a bit easier installing onto RH 6.0:
> loaded the required compatibility rpms from the cd,
> created my oracle user and dba group,
> downloaded the umpteen tar files,
> unzip/tared them and ran orainst,
> downloaded the glibzpatch, untarred that and ran it to replace the make
> files and relink,
> and finally fired up orainst to creat my db.

That's not less, but more than is necessary on SuSE Linux. Install ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse_update/suse60/a1/opatch6.rpm (info is from the SuSE support database, search was for 'oracle') and read /usr/doc/packages/oracle/README.SuSE.english Also contains /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/S..oracle init scripts.

Of course, it's not really more or less you have to do on either redhat or suse, it really comes down to the same steps. You have to follow the Oracle Installation guide for Linux, and twice you have to make a manual adjustment - once for linking something with -ltcl (which doesn't exist on SuSE because there's a -ltcl7.6 and a -ltcl8.0 because there are still Tcl7.6 apps out there) - can be solved by creating a link in /usr/lib temporarily or in the Oracle Makefile - and once for /usr/bin/sh (create link -> /bin/sh), which is an unusual place for sh (because /usr is often a separate partition and the very basic system tools like the standard shell belong on the root-partition in /bin, for those who don't know).

> Then I tried to install the web server.
> TILT!! According to Oracle Support, this only runs with the old (RH5.2)
> kernel.
> Damn and blast.
> I'm still looking and hoping (this was only over this past week), but past
> experience with Oracle makes me fear.

Fear what?

Michael Hasenstein, who once worked at Oracle HQ (Redwood City) and now feels a bit responsible for Oracle issues here at SuSE

--
Michael Hasenstein
http://www.csn.tu-chemnitz.de/~mha/