Re: Forms 3 Problem - Please Help

From: P Seely <Peter.Seely_at_gov.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:12:03 GMT

[Quoted] On Tue, 13 Jul 1999 08:30:25 +0200, "Johan Wegener" <xjw_at_xdde.xdk> wrote:

><pseely_at_nbnet.nb.ca> skrev i en
>nyhedsmeddelelse:378a9da1.82371303_at_allnews.nbnet.nb.ca...
>[snip]
>> The user_exit calls to the library functions work fine on the
>> Developent server. When the a code release to the Production server
>> was attempted, the thing does. When you get to the point where the
>> user_exit call is made, you can see the result flash briefly on the
>> screen in place (telling me the call succeeds) but then the form craps
>> out - your prompt appears. Forms is not dumping core (which would be
>> nice, IMHO, since there'd be something to work with.)
>[snip]
>
>Peter,
>alas, I am not sure exactly what you mean from your description, could you
>be a bit more specific as to how this error shows itself?
>
>Furthermore could you enlighten me to some details:
>1) How do you exchange values to and from the user exit to the Form?
>2) Do you use the NO_SCREEN parameter when you call your user exit?
>2) What kind of terminal or terminal emulation are you attempting, is the
>emulation/terminal the very same on both systems?
>3) What kind of resource (Oracle*Terminal) file are you using with Forms? Is
>it identical on both systems?
>
>Regards,
>Johan

Well, the error doesn't show itself. What happens is that when you tab to the field, the user exit is called. The user exit actually posts the result to the database, after which the form retrieves the results from the database into form variables. You see the result appear in the field where it should be for about a half a second, then your command prompt appears and the form is dead. There is no error file, no core dump, no nothing.

  1. The user exit posts the results of its processing to database tables from which the form retrieves and displays them.
  2. No, we're not using NO_SCREEN when calling user_exit. We use it when we do a HOST command though. In this case (calling the third party library) we're doing user_exit.
  3. We're doing vt220 terminal emulation. It is the same on both systems.
  4. We have a resource file which is used for Oracle*Terminal. It is the same on both systems.

Interestingly enough, I found out that our system architect tried to use a msg_popup in this procedure to pinpoint where the process was at, and that caused the form to crap out in the exact same manner. It seems that attempting to do any output to the screen at this point causes the form to die.

We are able to query the database, though. This doesn't seem to be a problem. I also feel compelled to say that, in another environment on this Production server (which is running an older version of this third-party library) this form and all other calls to the library work fine.

I hope this information is useful and appreciate any light you can shed on this.

Thanks a lot
Peter Received on Tue Jul 13 1999 - 16:12:03 CEST

Original text of this message