Re: How Do I use Become User System Privileges

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:38:13 -0400

Good question. "BECOME USER" (actually, ALTER SESSION SET DEFAULT USER=whatever, or something like that) will set the default_user (? default_schema?) column in the V$SESSIONS table. This is where IMPORT gets the owner name from when it's creating objects. Unfortunately, "BECOME USER" doesn't actually change who is connected, it only changes the value of the default_user column in V$SESSIONS. (And Oracle states that they don't actually *support* the use of the ALTER SESSION SET DEFAULT USER statement anyway.) The only way to do the equivalent of su in Unix is "connect username/password_at_connect_string".

If you're a DBA, there is a way to capture the encrypted value of a user's password, change it to something you know, connect as them, do whatever, then set the password back to it's original encrypted value, but I'm not tellin'.....(OK, if you email me, maybe I'll tell :=)

Regards!

--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site