Re: job on timer

From: Bob <bookor_at_mail.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 09:30:40 -0400

Oracle 8.04 running on NT4.

We have a 95 workstation dedicated to this interface. I create the flat file, store it on the workstation or a share for the vendor and the vendor "dials up" the workstation and scoops up my flat file. I planned to use their workstation to do the work since it simply sits there with nothing else going on. Right now Ive got a vis basic program running on the 95 machine that goes out and creates the flat file for me. I still want to use Oracle for this because my experience with vb has been that the odbc and ado connections are fleeting and sometimes just seem to quit working for no reason. This guy needs to just sit there and chug on 24 hrs 7 days forever.

I hoped to find something similar to vis basic's timer.ocx where I could create a form with a button to kick off the timer and cause the form to execute the script every 10 minutes or so. Oracle has a timer function but none of the references to it that I can find show it being used for any such project, and like most of the oracle stuff I look up it seems awfully convoluted and confusing..:)

dbms_job and some kind of pl/sql script would be great if it didnt impact on my server performance. I have to wonder about the resources that would be required by utl_file or some of the other oracle routines.

http://www.deja.com/thread/%3C7lnm90%246k4%241%40nntp2.atl.mindspring.net%3E