Re: 9:38:03 +0100

From: Denny Koovakattu <denny_vk_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 21:34:27 GMT

Hi Scott,

  Even if AIX supports large files, Oracle utilities like exp/imp/sqlldr may not support file sizes greater than 2G. Check with Oracle Tech. Support whether Oracle utilities for Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.2 supports large files. If not, then you could export to a named pipe, use split and compress to split the export files into multiple files below 2G. This has been discussed in this forum before. Please do a search and if you cannot find one example let me know.

  To export directly to tape, use the volsize parameter.

  exp file=/dev/rmt0 volsize=<size of tape - some overhead> .....

Regards,
Denny

In article <3785c438.4002064_at_news.mpx.com.au>,   edlinnell_at_acslink.net.au (Ted Linnell) wrote:
> "Scott Hahn" <scotty_at_superior-sdc.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello-
> > My environment,
> > Oracle 7.3.4, AIX 4.2
> >Problem
> > My export seems to fail as it reaches two gig. command = exp
> >user/pass_at_inst direct=y full=y file=/d5/oracle/export.exp
log=/d1/log.txt

> >the export fails claiming "Cannot write to export file" At that
point the
> >file size is by using ls -s 2097814 which if I am not mistaken is 2
gig

> >Now I have all ulimits set to -1 which gives the oracle user
unlimited file
> >size, or so I think. Also the /d5 logical drive was created to
support
> >large files.
> >
> >Does anyone know how to work around this?
> >
> >I need help from someone who knows IBM's AIX specifically to confirm
these
> >things? Does anyone know how to confirm from the shell that 1) the
user
> >oracle has unlimited file size 2) That the /d5 logical drive supports
large
> >file sizes?
> >
> >If anyone can help me I would GREATLY appreciatte it. I am pretty
lost.

> >In addition can someone please tell me how I can export directly to
tape if
> >my tape drive is /dev/rmt0
> >
> >You can see I am not much of a UNIX admin
> >
> >Scott Hahn
> >scotty_at_superior-sdc.com
>
> 1) do a man ulimit.
> ulimit should show you the current max file size, can't remember
> the flag you need.
>
> Ted.
> | Ted Linnell <edlinnell_at_acslink.net.au> |
> | BSc GradDipDP CNA MACS PCP |
> | Nunawading, Victoria , Australia |

Denny Koovakattu
denny_at_vitalsol.com