Re: sqlplus problem

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 20:09:42 GMT

On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 09:17:01 -0400, Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com> wrote:

>It sounds like we need some clarification here. There are two possible scenarios
>when running sqlplus as a client app on a workstation that does not have a
>database itself but accesses a remote database via sqlnet.
>
>1. The server is using mts.
>2. The server is not using mts.
>
>The first question becomes whether or not the SORT_AREA_SIZE set in initxxx.ora
>is the controlling factor for sorts in both cases or only if mts is not used.

It is controlling factor in both scenarios. Sort area can only be allocated on the server's memory.

>The second question is whether sorting is always done on server-side or whether
>sorting is done server-side without mts and client-side for mts

No matter if it is MTS configuration or dedicated server configuration, sorting is *always* done on the server, it can not be done on the client.

>The third
>question is if sorting is done client-side then where is the sort area allocated
>and how can its size be controlled.

Irrelevant, look at the previous answer.

>Ken

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle DBA (7.3 & 8.0 OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Wed Jul 07 1999 - 22:09:42 CEST

Original text of this message