Re: sqlplus problem

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BluesSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 09:17:01 -0400

[Quoted] It sounds like we need some clarification here. There are two possible scenarios when running sqlplus as a client app on a workstation that does not have a database itself but accesses a remote database via sqlnet.

  1. The server is using mts.
  2. The server is not using mts.

The first question becomes whether or not the SORT_AREA_SIZE set in initxxx.ora is the controlling factor for sorts in both cases or only if mts is not used. [Quoted] The second question is whether sorting is always done on server-side or whether sorting is done server-side without mts and client-side for mts: The third [Quoted] question is if sorting is done client-side then where is the sort area allocated and how can its size be controlled.

Ken