Re: What is a better career? HELP ME

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 15:57:16 -0700

[Quoted] > I am going to look for a job to do with Oracle. Basically I have two choice:
[Quoted] > to be an Oracle DBA or Oracle application developer.

[Quoted] I would urge you to aim toward developer. From my experience you can not be a [Quoted] [Quoted] good DBA without that background under your belt. DBAs that have never been [Quoted] developers are not as valuable to their employer and are not as able to [Quoted] understand development issues and work cooperatively with developers.

[Quoted] [Quoted] That said there are basically three types of Oracle DBAs whose jobs are [Quoted] distinctively different. Their are DBAs that work on architecture and almost [Quoted] never actually touch the product (most people would call them Data Base Architects). There are development DBAs that work with product development teams. And there are Production DBAs whose primary responsibility is acting like the Fire Department. They perform installs, backups, back-end optimization, and [Quoted] have umbilical chords attaching them to their pagers and cell phones.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Wed Jul 07 1999 - 00:57:16 CEST

Original text of this message