Re: What is a better career? HELP ME

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:09:20 GMT

On Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:58:14 +1000, "phillip H" <hzl_at_optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>I am going to look for a job to do with Oracle. Basically I have two choice:
>to be an Oracle DBA or Oracle application developer.

I think that you should look at this more from the perspective of what you enjoy doing. I find DBA work to be more interrupt driven than development. It's also an ongoing administrative type job. There's no end to the project of managing your database. As a DBA, I find myself doing many short duration tasks. When I was a developer, I focused one one project for a long time, completed a project, and then moved on to something else. I might spend two or three weeks working on one subsystem. As a DBA, the longest amount of time that I spend on any one task is usually less than a day.

Both careers are rewarding. I still enjoy development. Both careers require you to adapt quickly to change. My advice is to look around at DBAs and developers that you know, and try to get a feel for which job you would enjoy the most.

Jonathan Received on Tue Jul 06 1999 - 21:09:20 CEST

Original text of this message