Re: Is Designer worth using ?

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 14:57:18 -0700

> We're newbies in ORACLE and we're developing a new project. The initial
> idea was using Designer&Developer, but the majority of the developing sttaf
> is against using Designer, because of complexity and at our concern we don't
> know noone that use both tools. Is there anyone who can give me pro and
> con's arguments?

I think the answer depends on your internal personnel and your processes.

If no-one at your organization knows Designer/2000 you will either have to send someone to Oracle's classes or just forget the tool. This is no something that works self-taught. The tool is very large, very capable, and very complex.

That said, it is great if you know what to do with it.

The other problem for most people with Designer/2000 is that it requires a development methodology and discipline that is unfortunately lacking in most organizations.

To use Designer/2000 you need to start a project by mapping out requirements and refining them inside of Designer/2000; not start banging out code. And people under age 30 tend to go crazy when you ask them to actually think things through rather than just throwing junk over the cubicle wall.

If you are willing to commit to learning it and using it correctly it can be a very major benefit to any organization.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Jul 05 1999 - 23:57:18 CEST

Original text of this message