Re: COOL:Gen vs Oracle Designer

From: <chris_lack_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 10:43:31 GMT

Hi Tony

Thanks for the comments and the user-group address. A specific area of interest is whether the saving in coding time over Oracle's toolset is simply replaced by having to spend more time in analysis and design? ie Is COOL:Gen really any quicker to develop in than Oracle?

Chris.

In article <7lns4g$po5$2_at_nclient5-gui.server.virgin.net>,   "Tony Buckley" <command.it_at_virgin.net> wrote:
> I have used Cool:gen for some years now.
>
> It's a full lifecycle i-case tool that spans the development of a
project
> from planning to implementation and maintenance. It can target many
> platforms. Is there an area that you specifically want to know about?
>
> Because it can target multiple database platforms, it does suffer
from a
> lowest common denominator problem. That is, some high level oracle
> functions are not available (even in concept) because the psuedo code
may be
> retargetted for DB2 at a later date. A programmer need have zero
knowledge
> of Oracle in order to build a system; they don't even need to
understand
> SQL.
>
> In summary, it's an excellent design and development tool, but it
depends
> what you want to use it for.
>
> Try posting a similar question (although being more specific would
help) to
> http://www.issug.org/issug_core.htm
>
> This is the address of the Independant Sterling Software User Group
and I
> know some people there have good experience of the Oracle products.
>
> Tony

$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...