Re: COOL:Gen vs Oracle Designer

From: Tony Buckley <command.it_at_virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 15:45:09 +0100

[Quoted] I have used Cool:gen for some years now.

It's a full lifecycle i-case tool that spans the development of a project [Quoted] from planning to implementation and maintenance. It can target many platforms. Is there an area that you specifically want to know about?

Because it can target multiple database platforms, it does suffer from a [Quoted] lowest common denominator problem. That is, some high level oracle functions are not available (even in concept) because the psuedo code may be [Quoted] retargetted for DB2 at a later date. A programmer need have zero knowledge [Quoted] of Oracle in order to build a system; they don't even need to understand SQL. [Quoted] In summary, it's an excellent design and development tool, but it depends [Quoted] what you want to use it for.

Try posting a similar question (although being more specific would help) to http://www.issug.org/issug_core.htm

[Quoted] This is the address of the Independant Sterling Software User Group and I [Quoted] know some people there have good experience of the Oracle products.

Tony