Re: SQL*Loader

From: Ian Atkinson <ian_david_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 1999/07/02

Thanks Graham,

I will be loading multiple (approximately 3,000 per month)csv files and storing the header, trailer and data in separate tables. There will be basic format validation (no business logic) on the way in and once loaded may pass on to more structured tables.

I have a prototype working OK on a few files - now got to get multiple filenames from a directory in to the control file. Will SQL*Loader take an array or shall I run it many times??

In article <377c4ff7.4133063_at_news.u-net.com>,   lgmiller_at_elmrd.u-net.com (Graham Miller) wrote:
> Hello Ian,
>
> It depends on how much logic you need to do when processing input
> records. SQL*loader has its place in the scheme of things. It is
> *the* quickest way of getting data into a database. Its data error
> reporting is horrid. If you explain more about what you are trying to
> then it may be possible to high-light the limitations of the various
> methods.
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:17:32 GMT, Ian Atkinson <ian_david_at_my-deja.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I am assessing the use of SQL*Loader and have currently only heard
 good
> >things. I've seen combinations of 'C', Delphi, PL/SQL, and SQR
> >used in systems when SQL*Loader would seem an obvious choice. Are
 there
> >limitations / drawbacks / performance issues that are not immediately
> >apparent?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Ian
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >Share what you know. Learn what you don't.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message