Re: Developer 6.0 run-time install is very large

From: <dc70_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 15:21:16 GMT

Thanks for your help, Sean. I really appreciate it. I have considered the network installation option that your recommended. That would take care of most of our folks (although we have pockets that are on dial-up connections). My main concern is whether or not we would see performance issues placing the files on a server rather than on the local hard drive. Our users access speeds to the server would very from 10 megabit ethernet down to T1 speeds. Have others encountered performance issues doing this?

As for your 2nd comment, you are correct that 6.0 doesn't overwrite 2.1 files (in fact they seem to co-exist pretty well). I had previously done as you suggested (completely removed ORAWIN95)-- a fresh install of reports/forms run-times from 6.0 is about 121MB in size.

Thanks again for your help,

Daryl

In article <NwNe3.1126$Pu4.6135806_at_firenze.visi.net>,   "Sean Zhang" <sean_at_cnfei.com> wrote:
> Hi, Daryl,
>
> I think two methods may help you get around,
> 1. You can do a Network installation, put all files in a File server,
like
> Windows NT,
> then only import Registry to every client computer. This method
has
> been posted
> in this newsgroup before, if you need more info about this
method, you
> can drop me a mail.
> Any way, I think this is the best installation method for
Developer
> 6.0: No space needed,
> (for client), fast, easier to upgrade.
> 2, I have noticed many file names ( like executables and DLLs) are
changed
> dramatically
> from Developer 2000 2.1 to Developer 6.0, that means if you
just want
> have
> a upgrade, the installation will add new files and new
directories,
> it WON'T override many of the old
> files, this almost doubles your space requirements. My
suggestion is
> like this: Before
> you install Developer 6.0, just delete the whole old
$ORACLE_HOME

> > We are currently running Developer 2.1 runtimes on approximately
250+
> > machines (and this number will likely grow significantly). My
> > organization needs to move to Developer 6.0 for a specfic feature
added
> > in Developer Reports. Unfortunately, when I choose to install the
Forms
> > and Reports run-times from the Developer 6.0 CD, the installation
adds
> > about 130 megabytes to the Oracle_Home (Orawin95)! That is more than
> > double the size of the Developer2000/2.1 run-times! Many of the
people
> > we support don't have an extra 130 megabytes to spare.
> >
> > Is it possible to significantly pare down the run-time environment
from
> > what the Oracle Installer dumps onto the machine? If not I'm afraid
my
> > organization will have to recommend that Oracle be abandoned and
> > replaced with another product with a smaller end-user footprint (we
> > already have a lot of pressure to go to MS SQL Server, etc).
> >
> > If it is possible to reduce the size, can someone point me to a
paper,
> > chart, etc that explains this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Daryl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri Jul 02 1999 - 17:21:16 CEST

Original text of this message