Developer 6.0 run-time install is very large

From: <dc70_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:25:51 GMT

We are currently running Developer 2.1 runtimes on approximately 250+ machines (and this number will likely grow significantly). My organization needs to move to Developer 6.0 for a specfic feature added in Developer Reports. Unfortunately, when I choose to install the Forms and Reports run-times from the Developer 6.0 CD, the installation adds about 130 megabytes to the Oracle_Home (Orawin95)! That is more than double the size of the Developer2000/2.1 run-times! Many of the people we support don't have an extra 130 megabytes to spare.

Is it possible to significantly pare down the run-time environment from what the Oracle Installer dumps onto the machine? If not I'm afraid my organization will have to recommend that Oracle be abandoned and replaced with another product with a smaller end-user footprint (we already have a lot of pressure to go to MS SQL Server, etc).

If it is possible to reduce the size, can someone point me to a paper, chart, etc that explains this?

Thanks,
Daryl

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Wed Jun 30 1999 - 16:25:51 CEST

Original text of this message