Re: Developer - Tab folder within tab folder

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 23:58:49 +0100

Paul Dorsey <pdorsey_at_dulcian.com> wrote in message news:rktd3.30646$eF3.11639_at_news.rdc1.nj.home.com...
> Hah! I am soo pleased. I have included that as an advanced interview
> question in our (koletzke and Dorsey) upcoming Developer book, but our
tech
> reviewer complained that it was a crazy thing to ask and nobody would
care.

> In any case, here are the steps.
> First, the code is not a nightmare. We have it in our template and it
takes
> about 3 minutes to set up in a new form.
>
> 1. You can't really make tabs within tabs. Just make two independent tab
> objects. The second (subtab) one will have to be shown and hidden using
> code.
>
> 2. Do a show view of the subtab on the tab where the subtab appears.
>
> 3. If you enter a block on the main tab page, the subtab will disapear as
> the main tab page moves to the front. You will need to show the subtab on
> when new block instance trigger of the block on the main tab page.
>
> Show view may not work for the subtab. Use a go item to a null item (0
> height, 0 width at position 0,0 on the tab page) instead if you have
> trouble.
>
> Note that the redisplay happens at the end of the code. In one place I had
> to set up a trivial timer to get both tabs to display and have the cursor
> end up in the right place.
>
> We have tabs and subtabs set up in our template with a package set up for
> any additional code that may be needed.
>
> Note that tab pages are global, i.e. if you have a page1 on two canvases,
> you won't be able to tell which one has been opened.
> We name out pages tab1, tab2,... on the main tab and subtab1, subtab2,...
on
> the subtabs.
> --
> Paul Dorsey
> Dulcian, Inc.
> www.dulcian.com
> 212 595 7223
> Norris wrote in message <7l1ron$vvg$1_at_imsp009a.netvigator.com>...
> >Can I create tab folder pages within tab folder pages?

[Quoted] Plese elaborate, I cannot see how you can handle userfriendly validation (where you don't change focus when another tab is selected). Lets say you have two tabs (1 and 2) both with two tabs in them (tab 1 has tab 1A and 1B, [Quoted] tab 2 has tab 2A and 2B. Let's say focus is in tab 1A in a required field that is empty. Now the user clicks on tab 2 and expects the subtabs 2A and 2B to show. How can you do a HIDE_VIEW on tab 1's subtab? Forms should throw [Quoted] an exception because the current field is empty and it's required. This functionality is possible with one-level tabs because it's not required for them to change focus when selecting another tab. And it's very helpful in the case where the user needs some information from another tab to fill out the current field.

Thanks.

Finn Received on Mon Jun 28 1999 - 00:58:49 CEST

Original text of this message