Re: How to retrieve last row!!!!

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:12:08 GMT

A copy of this was sent to Ashok K Solipuram <aks_at_mem.odu.edu> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:14:19 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
> Can anyone tell me how to retrieve last row inserted into the table if
>that table doesnot have columns like creation_date,Last_update_date...
>
>I tried to retrieve using rownum but it didn't work.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks in Advance.
>-Ashok.

there is no such thing as "the last row inserted" in table. You cannot get the last row inserted.

You have to have some attribute of data that tells you what the 'last row' is.

[Quoted] [Quoted] Rows get inserted all over in a table, not just at the "bottom" (not that there [Quoted] is a bottom to a table either)

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st