Re: PLEASE HELP: ASCII Im- Export

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 11:48:38 GMT

Hi Karsten,

(1) options

    just simply select col1||','||col2||','||col3

                from table

    and spool that to a file
    Or
    (for Microsoft addicts) setup an ODBC datasource to the database,
     hookup Access and export to a text file (This will definitely be
     faster to develop)
     Import: use SQL*Loader or the ODBC connection
(2) If you want to do that, you need to use the utl_file package. Many posts in this newsgroup discuss utl_file, not because it doesn't work, but because it is a bit user-unfriendly. If spool is sufficient why bother to use utl_file
(3) Try to find out whether SQR (Structured Query Reporwriter) still exists. This is an all purpose report-writer, bit like RPT/RPF (Ugh) but  it is very flexible. It comes with a report that generates another report which exports the file to Ascii.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply

In article <3771FFD5.45922D7B_at_cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de>,
  karsten reincke <kreincke_at_cl-ki.uni-osnabrueck.de> wrote:

> hello;
>
> we have to export (and import) tables into (adn from) an ascii-file.
but

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ Share what you know. Learn what you don't.