Q: Tool/Methodology for Table Comparisons

From: <jcanning_at_globalserve.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:45:40 GMT

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool/methodology that will enable the ability to produce a schema map for a particular version of an application and then be able to use that as the basis for doing comparisons against other environments.

For example, let's say I install on my research/lab platform a proprietary application that uses Oracle 7.3.4 as the back-end. When the application is installed it predefines numerous tables in the database which it will use as part of its normal operation. After this "out of the box" stock install has been performed, I wish to take a schema dump or map of this stock install. I then wish to be able to use that for comparison purposes at client sites to determine which tables are different due to alterations, which columns have been changed or added, possibly due to the introduction of extended attributes, etc. This kind of tool would be extremely useful for migrations/upgrades.

Essentially, it should be able to do what I can do with the UNIX utility  'diff' or 'cmp'. With 'diff', on just a change of one byte, a report of where and how is produced. I wish to be able to do the same on a table by table, column by column basis.

Additionally, is there a way to do table comparisons on a row by row, column by column basis after a table rebuild operation by being able to compare the copy with master after the rebuild op. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jeff Canning

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sun Jun 20 1999 - 14:45:40 CEST

Original text of this message