Re: Analyze table

From: dB <darryl_e_balaski_at_groton.pfizer.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:30:28 -0400

Well, that is not alway true -- look at how your querys we written --

were the application sql statements optimized for the rule base optimizer or the cost based?
I have seen very few applications take adavantage of additions of the cost based optimizer --- most sql seems to be optimized for the rule based optimizer.
[Quoted] It you run with the cost based optimizer, then you must re-analyze your objects on a periodic basis (depending on the amount of dml you perform on the data).

BTW, the optimizer_mode parameter is set to "CHOOSE" by default. Oracle will try to use the cost based optimizer if stats exist on the objects in the query -- even if they are out of date! check your init.ora file & v$parameter table for its current setting.

I really suggest reading Oracle's Administrator's Guide and look into a Performance Tuning book (such as O'reilly Press).

sincerely
darryl dB Balaski
www.rdbms.org