NT terminal server client tools

From: Ted Oliver <tsoliver_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 05:56:43 -0700

Hello,

[Quoted] I'm fairly new with Oracle, have worked with Access and SQL 6.5 in the past. We run 8.1.5.0.0 on Solaris, and currently provide client data access through Browswer 2.0 (no longer supported, AFAIK) and entry through Forms 5.0, all running on X-windows terms off Solaris app servers.

We are a private research firm, and most end-users access the database via ad-hoc queries based on very large (# of columns, not that much data) static tables that are generated automatically twice weekly.

I am trying to plan for replacement options for client access since Browser is no longer supported. We are also planning a general migration toward Windows Terminal Server, possibly with metaframe to support x-windows terms (many are being replaced with Neoware thin-clients).

Questions:

  1. Does anyone actually use Discoverer 3.0?
  2. Specifically, does anyone use Discoverer 3.0 in a terminal server environment? I am mainly concerned about performance and compatibility issues. [Quoted]
  3. How does discoverer compare with something like MS Excel via ODBC for client data extraction? (eg. using Query Builder).
  4. Are there ANY Solaris-based apps that provide basic ad-hoc query support with connectivity to Oracle?

Thanks in advance for any replies, cc's to tedATdesert.com greatly appreciated. Received on Tue Jun 15 1999 - 14:56:43 CEST

Original text of this message