Re: poor performance on ACCESS 97 client/oracle 7.3 server application

From: Rick Losey <rlosey_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 05:46:21 -0600

You will always get the worst performance when you access Oracle through MSAccess. This is because everything goes through the Jet engine. This engine translates commands from MSAccess format to ODBC. ODBC then translates the ODBC complient commands to Oracle's OCI format, which then gets executed.

You can save some time by accessing Oracle through RDO or ADO, which avoids the JET engine, but still goes through ODBC. If you are not worried about portability issues, the fastest (and easiest) method is to use Oracle's "Oracle Objects for OLE (oo4o)". This directly creates OCI code. It is also very similiar to DAO, so if you know; that, you shouldn't have any problems.

Rick