Re: PL/SQL Cartridge Stateless ?

From: Rick Banister <rick_at_sesame.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 01:13:47 -0700

Very stateless. But all processes run as one connection, ever since the CGI-mode was superceeded by the WRB architecture in OAS 2.0.

We have implemented what we call "database cookies" to retain data values across sessions. The trick is to create a database table which has a session number, a field descriptor, and a data value field. each new screen session generates a sequence number that is stored in the session number. The other two fields are paired values, like "p_invoice_number" for the field descriptor and the actual value of the invoice number. We wrote a nifty cookie manager to simplify usage of this table. It is very important that you don't delete records once you're done with them; truncate the table periodically instead, as deletes cause space reclamation, which enques blocks with catastrophic consequences in a very high volume environment (as in crashing Oracle once an hour, in our experience with 30 concurrent users).

This works much safer and easier than client-side browser cookies, and all the I/O's on the database, where the PL/SQL cartridge is running anyway.

Send me a mail if anyone's really interested. Also, we're looking for developers out in Santa Clara, California.

--
    Rick Banister <rick_at_sesame.com>
    http://www.sesame.com