Re: Comparing NULL values

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:17:40 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Meinaz" <meinaz_at_cyberway.com.sg> (if that email address didn't require changing) On 11 Jun 99 17:08:40 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>I need to execute an SQL statement in one of my PL/SQL script. In this
>statement i need to compare my column value with one of the IN parameter
>value. The IN parameter value may be null. In this case I will not be
>able to get a match even though my column value is null. Is there a way I
>can resolve this?
>
>THANX!!
>

>meinaz

where Column = Variable or ( column is null and variable is null )

Note: nulls are not indexed -- the above where clause will never use an index.

See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'... Mirrored (and more current) at http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/

Current article is "Fine Grained Access Control", added June 8'th