Re: recovery method

From: John Higgins <JH33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:10:52 -0500

I could not tell from your description of your backup if you are really covered.

To recover your database using a hot backup you must have:

1) the control files
2) the data files
3) the log files created during the backup

It is point 3 that I am worried about.

If your backup procedure does the following, you are OK:

1) after the datafile backup, you switch logfiles
2) you wait until the just terminated log file is archived
3) you backup all archived log files (this now includes the log file that
was current at the start of the backup as well as the log file that was current at the end of the backup and all log files in between)

By having ALL the log files that were in use during the backup, you can restore the data files and recover (cancel after the last log file is applied).

Can't you buy just one more disk? If the archived logs are on a separate disk, you greatly reduce the risk of losing a day's work.

What about archiving straight to tape? You could switch the destination to disk during the backup and then switch back to tape.