Re: Selecting function derived columns

From: Justin Wigg <justinwigg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 00:50:10 GMT

[Quoted] In article <3761148a.3952573_at_newshost.us.oracle.com>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:

> try adding:
>
> pragma restrict_references( xxxxx, wnds, WNPS );
>
> if your function WRITES to the package state (has side effects,
> modifies global variables) you will not be able to call it in a where
> clause. If it has no side effects -- you can.

Hmmmmm. All the package does is a secondary select statement and concatenates its several columns into a single returned VARCHAR2 (used for followup client names and addresses). Reading from the database isn't considered a 'side-effect' is it? Certainly not any globals involved.

[Quoted] The versions being used are:

Oracle       7.3.2.3.0
PL/SQL       2.3.2.3.0
SQL*Plus     3.3.2.0.2
Data Browser 2.0.10.1.0

> See http://www.oracle.com/ideveloper/ for my column 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...

Great stuff Tom. We're moving to O8i soon. Can't wait! Thanks to you and Mark for your help.

--
The trouble with common sense | Justin Wigg - Hobart, AUSTRALIA
Is that it's not that common. | Reply: justinwigg_at_yahoo.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/