Re: Webpage and Oracle

From: Bill Coulam <bcoulam_at_ngtele.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:47:54 -0600

There are so many ways to do this it's hard to know where to start. There are some good books and white papers on the web that can give you a start on HTML and CGI, but here are the basics:

On the client side, you will need an HTML page that includes an HTML form (see the <FORM> and <INPUT> tags). When the user clicks "Submit" (or whatever you called your submit button), the data in the fields on the form are sent to the url mentioned in the ACTION attribute of your form tag. This url must be a CGI program that can read the data being sent from the browser to the web server, open a connection to the database and select, insert, update or delete values. Once the database interaction is done, the same CGI program dynamically writes an HTTP response (HTML page) back to the browser to let the user know how their request went.

It is often the case that the first page, the one with the user input fields, needs to be written dynamically out of the database as well (to populate the values of drop-down list boxes, checkbox options, etc.). This will also need to be written as the HTTP response of a CGI program that has the ability to talk to the database.

Now the technology. This is the hard part. It depends on your corporate standards and money available. It is an Oracle-everywhere shop? A try to do everything for free shop? A roll-your-own-code-at-all-costs shop? The CGI programs can be written in Cold Fusion, Perl, C, Java, PHP, etc. The database connectivity package used can be OCI, ODBC, JDBC, the perl to Oracle libraries, etc. You might buy a license to the Oracle Web Assistant that comes with the 8.0.4 CD. You might buy and install the Oracle Web Application server Standard Edition that allows you to write all the CGI stuff mentioned earlier in PL/SQL as well as other web execution paradigms (SSI, Java/CORBA, etc.). You might look at WebDB from Oracle. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Good luck in your further research.