Oracle 8 Tuning Question

From: Douglas Peel <dpeel_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 09:54:59 -0500

[Quoted] Hey all,

[Quoted] [Quoted] I am fairly new to the Oracle game and I'm having a tuning problem. I am running a query on a fairly large table (1M records) and it seems to be taking much longer than it should. I'm running Oracle 8 on and NT4.0 Server [Quoted] box. What I've noticed is when the query is being executed, the total CPU [Quoted] usage rarely (if ever) goes above around 16-18% and never above 25%, but, the query can take several minutes (3-10 minutes depending on result set) to [Quoted] [Quoted] execute. Why would the CPU usage remain so low? Why not use all of the CPU [Quoted] [Quoted] time? The box has no other tasks running simultaneously that should prevent [Quoted] it from taking what it needs.

[Quoted] [Quoted] I believe that I have all of the tables indexed properly and the query is optimized, but, like I said, I'm new enough to not be 100% sure.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Doug

dpeel_at_mindspring.com Received on Tue Jun 01 1999 - 16:54:59 CEST

Original text of this message