Re: why can't find ORACLE DB? why import failed?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 22:05:28 +0200

Hi,

Oracle 7.1.3 has been desupported a long time ago. The only supported version for Oracle 7 is Oracle 7.3.4

OPQ wrote in message <7iuhgs$s8m_at_netnews.hinet.net>...
>hi! I am new to Oracle! I met two problem recently, I need you guru's help!
>
>1> I export user_data from Oracle 7.1.3 and import to another PC running
>Oracle 7.1.3, too. But the import failed, then I found I need to use
>'Database Expander" to extend user_data myself to 600MB, doesn't import do
>the increment of user_data itself? why need manual expanding?

Import does it's work in an existing database. The physical structure of a database is not affected. In newer versions of Oracle it is possible to AUTOEXTEND a tablespace, in your case user_data. IMO this is a very dangerous feature, as you potentially loose control on the size of your tablespaces.

>2> after I imported data, and started the database, I run an app to access
>the new db? If on same pc with the Oracle DB, it can find the DB and run
ok?
>but if I
>run from another pc, it can find the db? I assume it can find DB via named
>pipe (since alias is as follows: newdb=p:fdbserver:ORCL), the Oracle is
>7.1.3 on Window NT, and with only TCP/IP protocol, but WINS is set ok, so I
>can ping the PC with name: fdbserver from any PC (the clinet also has WINS
>set). The environment is as older DB machine with the only difference that
>the older DB is on PDC and new DB is on stand-alone NT server when
>installed.

You need sqlnet configured on the remote PC. You need to have it installed, and you need to copy %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin/sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora of the database server to the same directory on the remote PC. If you used ping, that's the windows ping. You need TNSPING from Oracle (installed with sqlnet) to make sure you can contact the database. In your case, tnsping will probably fail without copying the aforementioned files.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA