Re: Webpage and Oracle

From: <bonanos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 07:28:11 GMT

Hi

  "Evert J. Smit" <e.smit_at_caiw.nl> wrote:
> I want to create a webpage for intranet at our office so that people
can
> fill in some fields and when they push the submit-button the data in
these
> fields are transferred into an Oracle 8.0.4 database.
>
> Who can tell me if this is possible and how to do this.
> I don't have much knowlegde of html.

Hi there are several ways to do this, but if you say you do not have that much html(I am guessing not much programming experience?) experience, the best bet is to go for a commercial product that lets you build forms easily and uses ODBC to insert them into the database, Cold fusion comes to mind. Microsoft FrontPage may also let you do this.

With Oracle there are basically two options: Web DB, This is an intranet programming/publishing environment. It allows you to simple(relativly) set up insert/update/query type forms based on tables/fields in the database. It has a wizard type interface and you dont have to know any programming(although you can add your own program code to web db).

The final option is to install the Oracle web server, version 3 or 4 (3 is easier and a bit more stable IMO). with the web server you have the ability to to write PL/SQL stored procedure in the database which pump out html. This is the most flexible and poweful option. but you have to set up the web server(a bit tricky for first timers) and you have to have PL/SQL programming skills and know html.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Sat May 29 1999 - 09:28:11 CEST

Original text of this message