Re: Anyone Actually using Dev/2000 Server / Web Enabled forms ?

From: Tilen Skraba <tiskraba_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 08:22:22 GMT

Well, it seems we have same experience.
[Quoted] We DON'T have any of forms deployed yet... Just the test ones. We are waiting for contract to be signed then we'll start migration of PL/SQL modules into forms.
Our aplication consists of some 30-40 forms, some simple, some complex with master/detail, tab pages, complex controls... The aplication is not public accesible, as it would be to problematic for users to make it work (different JVM-s). For public accessible aplication you should consider different option.

If you only have 5-6 forms to be deployed, you should perhaps consider PL/SQL or the new JWeb cartridge (OAS 4.0.8).

If you want/need more info please e-mail me.

Tilen

In article <mie33.4070$yr2.1774_at_news.indigo.ie>,   "Noel O'Brien" <noel_at_paragon.ie> wrote:
> Thanks Tilen for the info...
>
> we too have skipped 1.4 and 1.5 and gone to 2.1 (forms 5).
>
> We have been doing prototypes with static html pages
> calling or launching our form using the latest Jinitiator.
>
> This plugin is downloaded once and then things speed up
> a bit. we have been told by Oracle that the new MS IE 5
> now support the running of Oracle Forms 5 without
> the need for Jinitiator. Oracle said Microsoft seem to
> have moved closer to the java used by Oracle.
>
> anyway...
>
> We are only using may 5 or 6 forms that are launched by
> users hitting a html page.
>
> Have you got many Forms running like this ? or have you just
> looked at it like we did.
>
> We are finding it very hard to find a reference site or even
> any live or production installation of this 'web enabled forms'
>
> We too have used Plsql generated by Designer to deploy
> sites but as you say it seems too complex.
>
> We have only this week started to look at WebDB.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Noel
>
> Tilen Skraba <tiskraba_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > Here's my experience....
> >
> > Don't use Developer 2.0, as it is as slow as Developer
> > 1.4W or 1.5.
> >
> > The only usable version is 2.1 (i didn't test 6.0).
> >
> > The speed over 2.1 is good eneugh for modem connections (22.800)
> > It is stable and accessible.
> >
> > I wouldn't use PL/SQL procedures or WebDB for any complex
aplications.
> > We have one PL/SQL application deployed over internet and because of
> > it's complexity we are moving it to Developer server technology.
> > It is easier to maintain...
> >
> > Currently we are in the middle of development of JDeveloper/JBuilder
> > project. There are some considerations here allso. Time to develop
> > application in JDeveloper is several times longer than in Developer
> > as it is "just" 3GL. You don't get any perfomance increase, it
doesn't
> > have "easy to develop" middle tier...
> >

> > Tilen
> >

> > In article <LeW23.3902$yr2.1779_at_news.indigo.ie>,
> > "Noel O'Brien" <noel_at_paragon.ie> wrote:
> > > Can anyone offer any info on the experiences with
> > > Developer/2000 Server 2.x ?
> > >
> > > We looked at Forms 4.5 a year ago when you could web
> > > enable your forms and deploy them on a web server
> > > using static html pages and the Jinitiator
> > >
> > > But is anyone actually using this technology ?
> > >
> > > Having problems finding people (other than Oracle people)
> > > who actually use this rather than Jdeveloper or Dynamic html
pages.

> > > We are weighting up the pros cons etc for Developer / Jdeveloper /
> > Webdb
> > > or using Designer to generate Web Applications

> [...]
8210308
> > > Killester
> > > Dublin 3
> > > Ireland
> > >

> > --== Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/ ==--
> > ---Share what you know. Learn what you don't.---

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't. Received on Fri May 28 1999 - 10:22:22 CEST

Original text of this message