Re: How do I relate multiple tables to a block in Forms4.5?

From: DanHW <danhw_at_aol.com>
Date: 27 May 1999 03:26:37 GMT

>Hi,
>
>I was thinking of relating multiple tables to a block in Forms4.5, but a
>block can be only associated one table or one view. Sometimes, I do need to
>have a block items that come from different tables, so I can modify the
>underlying tables at the same time. Any help or comments will be very much
>appreciated.
>
>Thanks a lot.
>
>X. Wang

Create a view that joins the tables. This has the advantage that any column in the view (not just one table) is now queryable, and is more efficient than post-query triggers populating other fields (less traffic and fewer SQL statements)

You will need to replace the on-insert/on-delete/on-update triggers to 'resolve' the view into its base tables and do the right thing to each table.

HTH
Dan Hekimian-Williams Received on Thu May 27 1999 - 05:26:37 CEST

Original text of this message