Re: Do I need an Oracle Developer License when I am the end user?

From: Simon Hedges <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 18:31:29 +0100

I'd check with Oracle if I were you. It is certainly true that the runtime is free, but I think there may be some wording from Oracle to the effect that 'free' doesn't mean 'freely distributable'. Oracle will be able to advise you.

The best thing that you can do is to specify in your contract that the cost you pay includes any and all software related costs, including the any cost resulting from Oracle Forms 5 licensing. This will put the onus on the supplier to get it right.

If you are using the Web version of Forms, then the situation may well involve a cost.

I'd also do a deal with your supplier on future versions of Forms etc - what happens when Forms 5 is no longer supported by Oracle (probably about 3 years from now - Forms 6 is already out) and won't work with the latest version of the database.

Simon Hedges
Gloucester
UK