HELP: Stored Procedure performance question

From: Furkan Khan <khanf_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 00:14:57 GMT

[Quoted] Folks, I need to build a system that sends out notifications when a relation changes in the database. This has to be highly scalable, i.e., millions of hits per day. Some of these relation's are quite expensive, i.e., they may require joins.

I would like to know the pros/cons of using :

  1. heavy server logic processing, i.e., heavy stored procedures as triggers that identify the changed relation - db server is doing most of the application logic.
  2. light server logic, i.e., minimal logic in a trigger. The trigger sends info to a event consumer client (multiple of them) which in turn do the processing.

Basically, I want to know how expensive are stored procedures in oracle instances. Can I do everything in stored procedures/triggers and still get the salability to serve millions of transactions. Won't the
heavy server side processing become a bottle-neck ?? Has anyone done any benchmarks on stored procedure logic and degradation of transaction processing throughput ??

Also how well does the Oracle Advanced Queuing infrastructure scale ??

Any advice/pointers appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
Furkan Received on Fri May 14 1999 - 02:14:57 CEST

Original text of this message