Re: Oracle ODBC Question

From: Richard Armstrong <StateOArt_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 14:02:12 -0600

[Quoted] I don't have specifics, but there is Oracle documentation that states that unless your client applications are written to be Net8 (and Oracle 8) compliant, you should use SQL*NET instead. This might be what you are experiencing. I would stick with the Oracle 7 drivers using the 2.x SQL*NET until you identify what the underlying problem is. I am currently working with a client that had to back off, and remove the Net8 client software to get client products to work correctly with both Oracle 7 and Oracle 8 servers. You did not mention what version of client software you are trying to use, but our current problems are with 8.0.3 and 8.0.4. We are in the process of testing 8.0.5, and think that client 8.0.5 *might* clear things up.

In the meantime, we are heeding Oracle's documentation and not using Net8.

Richard Armstrong
State Of The Art Consulting, Inc.
http://www.stateoart.com
Barry Gilchrist <barry.gilchrist_at_intactix.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have been using an ODBC connection to Oracle to execute a variety of SQL
> statements.
> These statements include table creation, indexing, foreign key definitions
> and the creation of triggers.
>
> Using the Oracle 7 drivers against Oracle 7.3.4 the statements are
executed
> without error.
> Using Oracle 8 drivers against an Oracle 8.0.5 database an error occurs
> (see below).
> Using Oracle 7 drivers against an Oracle 8.0.5 database is successful.
>
> In the above three cases the statements being executed are the same and
> where an error occurs it is always the first CREATE TRIGGER.
>
> Can anyone throw any light on this matter.
>
> Regards
> Barry Gilchrist
> Intactix International Ltd.

> Client
> --------
> NT 4.0 SP3 (Workstation)
>
> Server
> ---------
> NT 4.0 SP3 (Server)
>

> Error
> ------
> S1000:[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01036: illegal variable name/number
>
> Drivers
> ORACLE ODBC Driver 8.00.0500
> Oracle73 Ver 2.5 2.05.0301
>
> SQL Statement
> CREATE TRIGGER ASS_AUD BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON ASSOCIATIONS FOR EACH
ROW