Re: New in Oracle Parallel Server

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 16:08:12 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote in message
<926593837.25166.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>...

>For Oracle Parallel Query you need to have a SMP server
>with multiple processors.

     ^^^^^^^^

???

No.. please no... not again.... :-)

Why multiple processors? PQ can run quite hapily on a single CPU. There are -no- technical reason why PQ can not run on a single CPU hardware plafform. PQ's are nothing but just normal processes. Any multi-processing operating system can and do run -multiple- processes simultaneously on a -single- CPU using preemptive multitasking.

This means PQ CAN be used on -any- Oracle platform running a single CPU (assuming that the PQ option is available for that platform - not the case for example with Win'95).

Simplest of examples. I installed PQ option with Oracle ES on a P200 single CPU box. The performance of a full table scan query on a table containing about 30,000 rows increased by more than 500% when I ran the SQL using PQ.

The simple rule of thumb is - if the CPU (or CPUs on a SMP box) usage with Oracle running does not use 100% of the CPU all the time, then there is wasted CPU time that might be put to use to effective use by using PQ, thus increasing database performance.

Remember that performance tuning does not mean getting the system to idle at 10% CPU power - it is squeezing every as much power from the CPU as -effectively- at possible.

regards,
Billy Received on Thu May 13 1999 - 16:08:12 CEST

Original text of this message