Re: New in Oracle Parallel Server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 13:12:40 +0200

Hi Agi,

You are confusing Parallel Query and Parallel Server. Parallel Query is part of the standard software, and Parallel Server is an extra product, chiefly used to provide a fallback mechanism, and to distribute workload (what I did once: one application for data entry on one system, the batch applications [Quoted] on the second one). For Oracle Parallel Query you need to have a SMP server with multiple processors.
If you want to know about Parallel Query, buy Guy Harrison Oracle High Performance Tuning. This book discusses it in details with many examples.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA