Re: Does Reports 6 Eliminates the Need of Recompilation On the Client Side?

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <fen_at_changegroup.dk>
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 14:03:18 +0100

[Quoted] Adam Tadjkarimi <adamt_at_hsltd.com> wrote in message news:7gv5jr$jiu$1_at_newsin-1.starnet.net...
> This is in line of question I posted earlier on
> the recompilation of *.RDF files at the client
> site, a copy is attached.
>
> I would like to know if this issue is addressed in the new
> Release of Reports 6. The reason I am asking is our
> clients are not happy with the recompilation and
> if this is corrected we'll encourage them to
> upgrade. So, we will be able to give them the
> *.REP files.
>
> :I was wondering why do we have to compile the
> :reports containing PL/Sql (functions, procedures)
> :code. We develop SW and provide it to our
> :clients, there they have to compile against their
> :own Oracle Instances. This is inconvenient in two
> :aspects, first we have to give away our developed
> :code (the *.RDFs) , second they have to do it
> :there which involves manual interference and its
> :headaches every time an update or new report is
> :released.
>
> :Are you aware of any remedy for this scenario so
> :we could only give the *.REPs?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam Tadj
> adamt_at_hsltd.com
>
> Opinions expressed or questions asked are mine not of my employer.

With Developer/2000 (back to at least release 1.2) I can only see that a recompilation is needed if attached PL/SQL libraries (*.pll or *.plx) or database objects have changed since the report was last compiled? Or do you have different client platforms to take care of?

Finn Received on Sat May 08 1999 - 15:03:18 CEST

Original text of this message