Any size limits passing parms to Reports?

From: <RTProffitt_at_beckman.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 23:46:08 GMT

Reports 3 on NT 4.0 with Forms 5.0

I have a report in which the query is passed by parameter list user parameters:

    Parm_Title
    Parm_Select (CHAR 2000)
    etc.
query:

   &Parm_select

The Select statement is parsed and prepared in Forms. A parameter list is prepared consisting of various report titles, etc and the Select statement (Parm_Select).

The length of the select statement varies depending on what the users picks from screen.

Here is the problem: I have hit a circumstance where apparently picking one item causes the Select to be long enough to where some limit is reached, and the report does not run. There is no error message, no truncating of parameter, nor "unable to parse query", nor is there any window showing client/server activity. The report runtime simply never runs.

I have been able to delete characters from the query one at a time until a point is reach where the report executes

    select xxxxxx.... where .... in ('long name long text') becomes

[Quoted]    ..... where ... like ('long name text%') (then begin deleting characters from long name text)

Has anyone know of any such parameter list limitations, or experienced similar problems? If the Help mentions this, I sure haven't found it....

Thanks much,
Robert Proffitt
Beckman Coulter
Brea, CA