Re: Checking for duplicate items, Forms4.5

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1999 15:28:33 +0100

[Quoted] In article <7gt0nk$smv$1_at_news5.svr.pol.co.uk>, Simon Hedges [Quoted] [Quoted] <shedges_at_hhhh.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>You should be able to check the data in the Database as follows
>
>select MYTABLE.MYTEXT from MYTABLE where MYTABLE.MYTEXT =
>:MYBLOCK.MYTEXT and :MYTABLE.MYKEY <> :MYBLOCK.MYKEY
>
>This will return any row which exactly matches the current text from the DB,
>EXCEPT for the current row.

[Quoted] Oh dear, sometimes I just look for the hardest way to do these things! Thanks!

Can you confirm that Forms does nothing itself to check for uniqueness, and that if I relied on the normal response I'd just get the 'cannot INSERT' message with no indication of the field causing the problem?

Andy

--
Andy Hardy. PGP key available on request