Re: PL/SQL host commands in a loop

From: Paul Smith / Bea Hemmen <paul.smith_at_worldonline.nl>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 16:37:54 GMT

On 28 Apr 1999 01:30:54 GMT, danhw_at_aol.com (DanHW) wrote:

>From your snippet, itr is not clear if yiu initialize 'direc'. If you do not,
>then it is NULL the first time the loop condition is tested, which will not be
><= max_direc, so nothing will be done.
>
>I tried doing a host from NT, and had much better success if I did the command
>like this:
>'cmd dir /b....', rather than just 'dir /b...'
>
>In addition, you can put an option (I think it is either /k or /c) that will
>keep the window open after the command executes (the other closes it). From
>this you might be able to see the problem.
>
>HTH
>Dan Hekimian-Williams

Hi!

Thanks for the tip and apols if this reply is a bit tardy. As you said, it did help me to see the problem. It seems as though i) the host is being called but is not being fed the string and ii) this seems to have something to do with the form not accepting a commit when nothing in a base table block has changed.

I'm told this is familiar problem but no-one has been able to suggest a solution yet. For the time being I've re-written the code into sequential rather than nested loops and put them in seperate procedures so that the form can be closed and re-opened between each one. This gets around the forms error. It's obviously impractical, but it allows everything else to be tested while I look for a fix.

Thanks for help. Paul Smith.

  • Paul Smith / Bea Hemmen
  • paul.smith_at_worldonline.nl
  • Tel/Fax: 046-474 5429
  • The Netherlands
  • "Do not adjust your mind; there is a fault in reality."